Monday, September 29, 2008

Back in Houston

Hello everyone! (This post is for everyone this time). Peyton and I made it back to Houston after being in Idaho for a week and a half visiting my folks. We flew in on Friday, slept, and got back in the car on Saturday to go to SanAntonio to my nephew Jack's blessing. Then we slept at Daniel's brothers apartment and got back in the car Sunday and drove back to Houston. So now...after a VERY long weekend of traveling...we are finally home.
Now to catch you up...Cici and Poppy's (mom and dad Carter) place was so nice. I got to spend a lot more time than usual with my family and got to take Andrew to the MTC which was really sad and exciting at the same time. I hung out and went shopping with my mom and sisters and got to spend some time with one of my best friends Gari. Of course I couldn't get through the visit without everyone hitting me up for some free design consultations! I spent a lot of the time there painting walls, shopping for furniture, and hanging pictures. But it was so much fun and I love doing it. I will post some pics of a few of my "home makeover" projects when I get them. It was also really nice to be away from hurricane Ike cleanup in Houston. My inlaws didn't even get power until the day Peyton and I came home! They went for 2 weeks without it and that was definately long enough. I'm glad we skipped out of most of that hot and humid "camping" experience.
Speaking of Ike, this place still carries the battle wounds. There are still a LOT of trees down all over and lots of tarps over roofs. Its kinda crazy. I guess a lot of people were pretty unprepared which is ridiculous to me considering they had been warning us for a week before it actually hit. The coast is wiped out, houses and land is completely lost in Galveston. We got pretty lucky in our area. We had 95 mph winds but we were on higher ground and didn't get any flooding. Just makes you realize how important it is to have a plan and be prepared for anything.
Enough of that. So I decided I will NEVER travel again with a baby by myself. It was SOOO exhausting and I would rather pay someone to fly with me than do it again. Don't get me wrong, Peyton is generally a really happy easy-going kid but he is now one (adjusted age) and he will NOT sit still for longer than two seconds! Plus, he will NOT sleep in public, hes too busy looking around at everyone and everything. So there I was with my big suitcase, carseat, diaper bag, and a one year old strapped to me, running through the Denver airport trying to catch a flight that was about to leave. Then once we got on the plane, we sat for an hour before it took off due to "weather conditions". Peyton hadn't slept at all since 8 am and it was 6:30 pm. He kept climbing up me to look at the people in the seats behind us. The man next to us had a laptop out and was trying to ignore the fact that Peyton's only goal of the trip was to drool all over it. I kept wishing that the guy would just get a clue and put it away which would've made my job of keeping Peyton from annoying the other passengers significantly easier. But no. He just kept on acting like he didn't see me fighting Peyton's grimy hands away from the glowing screen. It was like a mosquito to a bug zapper. Oh and did I mention that Peyton is in to biting now? Oh yes, he finally got a top tooth in and now when I try to restrain him or take something from him he bites me. Where the heck did he learn that?!! For all the other moms out there, what is the best way to discipline your kids in public without people calling the child protective services on you? I'm serious...I'd really like to know. Or are we supposed to just hide out in a padded room with our children until they turn 10? Anyway, NEVER again.
So I guess I should do something productive now...I'll post more when I have more to post!

1 comment:

Kolby & Diana Romrell said...

Daniel I lost your e-mail address. -sorry- send me an email at kolby.romrell@aggiemail.usu.edu, then we will invite you to our blog...BTW Peyton is a STUD, a real cowboy in the makin'.
Kolby