Thursday, August 12, 2010

Welcome Sawyer!!!

Okay. So I have a perfectly good explanation for being absent from the blog-o-sphere for so long. I was pregnant with baby boy #2. I have just gone through a very LONG, STRESSFUL, and somewhat PAINFUL high-risk pregnancy. We got preggo in November and I was immediately put on all kinds of meds and was closely monitored. I had a miscarriage scare around 9 weeks, went to the ER twice for possible pre-term labor at 21 weeks and 27 weeks, had a cerclage put in for my “incompetent cervix”, had 20 weeks of progesterone injections, and had numerous tests run and ultrasounds done, and was put on bed-rest. I had my cerclage removed early because I was having consistent contractions that weren't slowing down and my doc and I were worried that if my body was trying to dilate the sutures could tear my cervix (bad news ouch ouch ouch). So at 35 weeks I had the cerclage removed and instantly dilated to nearly 2 centimeters. My doc was certain I'd go into labor within the next 48 hours. 48 hours later I was still preggo and was showing no signs of going into labor (besides the constant contractions but those I'd been having since 27 weeks so it was no bigee). A week later I went in for a check up and was found to be dilated to 3 centimeters, 90% effaced, with the baby at a station 1 (which is super low and very uncomfortable). Once again the doc was certain I'd go into labor within those next couple of days especially since I was having bouts of regular contractions that were 3 minutes apart. Well, needless to say to everyones surprise I did NOT go into labor for 4 MORE EXCRUCIATING WEEKS and finally ended up having to be induced when I went in after a month of virtually no sleep due to constant contractions and a fear that the baby wasbeginning to have decreased movement. At about 39 weeks I went in and they hooked me up to the fetal monitor (again) and were a little concerned about how the baby was handling my contractions. Then the doc checked me and told me I was dilated to 5 centimeters, fully effaced, and the baby was "about 3 inches from making his debut", yet I was NOT in real labor. The doc was very surprised by all this and decided that it be best to go ahead and get induced and get this little guy here so I could relax and get some sleep! Apparently, the scar tissue left behind from the cerclage was making it very difficult for me to fully dilate and go into real labor. Go figure. Anyway, Daniel and I went over to the hospital and the doc came over about a half an hour later, hooked me up to the I.V. (it of course took 2 tries to get the vein, that ALWAYS happens to me!), gave me a "spit" of pitocin, and put me on the fetal monitor and broke my water. I was surprised by how little fluid was released but the doc said that it was because the baby's head was so low for so long that it was like a little cork (or very BIG cork). About 30 seconds later I was in real labor and they were coming fast and hard. My mom and mother-in-law got there about a half an hour after the doc had left and I was already dilated to a 7. The contractions were coming on top of each other and the nurse was concerned I was going too fast so she shut off the pitocin to slow things didn't really work. At about 8 and a half centimeters I got stuck (right in the middle of transition YIPEE) and that dang scar tissue was not wanting to give in. Also the baby was turned and so I was having to do some mild acrobatics to get him to turn the right way before I could push. I was getting really nervous because I was starting to feel like my body wanted to push but I couldn't until that scar tissue let up because it would be VERY BAD to tear my cervix. I REALLY didn't want to have to have another c-section, especially since I'd been working so hard to avoid one. After a couple of hours of that I finally got the okay to push from the nurse. I don't think she realized how much I wanted to be done though because she left the room for a minute leaving Daniel, my mom, and Daniel's mom there with me alone. I didn't have any meds (no epidural, not even an asprin!) so I was definitely using my whole body to get this baby out! I was pushing vertically up on my knees on the bed with one arm around my mom and the other around Daniel. In between contractions I'd drop down to all fours to rest. Well you better believe I pushed that baby halfway out before the nurse could get back in the room! Nearly scared Daniel half to death! Nena (Daniel's mom) had to run out into the hall and get a nurse and they barely made it in in time to catch little Sawyer before he hit the bed! Of course no one had time to wash their hands and so the first thing the doc said when he ran into the room (about 30 seconds too late) was "Did anyone wash!?"! My mom was actually the first one to touch him and she just kind of held up her hands with this shocked look on her face like "Are you KIDDING?". It was pretty crazy and totally AMAZING although I do bet that many of those nurses who ran in to help were shocked to see a lady giving birth like that up on the bed on all fours! It was a VERY intense labor and delivery but actually pretty fast (if you don't count the entire month before that I was technically "in labor") only about 4 and a half hours after the doc broke my water. Sawyer Christian Rawson was born on Thursday July 22nd at 4:58 p.m. He weighed 7 and a half pounds and was 19 and a half inches long. He looks NOTHING like Peyton and Daniel is glad to see some of himself in this one! We are completely relieved and thrilled that he is here and healthy and I am COMPLETELY relieved and thrilled that I am no longer pregnant!! How ironic that I'd go from having an emergency c-section to having to be induced at 39 weeks and having a V.B.A.C. at that! We are so blessed and grateful for such great doctors and nurses and for so many good friends and family who have been praying for our success! Thanks to everyone!


Sharon said...

I'm so glad you and baby (Sawyer? I can't remember!) are okay. I'm sure high risk pregnancies are no fun. I went through 6 miscarriages throughout my reproducing years and numerous Dr visits to find out why. I'm glad you didn't have to deal with that or with another premature baby.

Congratulations! And that picture is gorgeous!

Kolby & Diana Romrell said...


Katie and Josh Fairbanks said...

Daniel you have such a beautiful family! and congrats on the newest addition! He is a doll. Your wife is amazing for going all natural on this birth, especially with all the issues she had! We just had our second little guy June 28. Boys are such fun! And I love the name :)